Outgoing students

Image: Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

Are you ready for an adventure abroad?

Within the Erasmus+ Programme, IfKW Jena has bilateral cooperations with social and communication science institutes at the Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain), the University of Zurich (Switzerland), Tartu Ülikool (Estonia) and the Corvinus University of Budapest (Hungary). On this page you will find information about the partner institutes and find out when, where, and how you can apply for a stay abroad at one of the three universities.

If you are interested in taking part in an exchange programme at universities with which IfKW does not have a bilateral agreement, please contact the International Office.

Partner-institute of the Erasmus+ program

Corvinus University of Budapestde
Study at the Faculty of Social Sciences and International Relations at the Corvinus University of Budapest!

Deadline for application:

The deadline for applications for a stay abroad for the forthcoming academic year is 15th January of each respective year.

(Example: If you want to go abroad in the academic year 2020/21, you must apply by 15th January 2020)

Application documents:

  • completed application form  (PDF zum DownloadExternal link)
  • Letter of motivation
  • Personal data sheet
  • Proof of grades in major and minor subject (Friedolin printout)
  • Language certificates (if available)

Adress for applications:

Simon Lübke
Institute for Communication Science
Ernst-Abbe-Platz 8
07743 Jena
(via E-Mail to auslandsstudiumkowi@uni-jena.de)

Criteria for selection:

Our goal is to find a place to study abroad for all interested students. In order to increase your chances for a stay abroad, please use the opportunity to specify a second wish.

It is required that applicants have sufficient knowledge of the national (or working) language at the host university at the beginning of their stay.

Once the application documents are complete, the following criteria will be considered for the selection of nominees: 

  • Quality of the letter of motivation (35 %)
  • Individual study achievements (best possible study performance) (35 %)
  • Language competence (beyond the required language level) (10 %)
  • Social commitment (10 %)
  • Form of application (10 %)


  • Which formal requirements do I have to meet in order to apply for studies abroad?

    In order to apply for an exchange place within the Erasmus+ program, you must be enrolled at the FSU Jena. You must also meet the language requirements for studying at the host university. Further information on the respective language requirements can be found on the pages of each individual partner institutes.

  • Can I apply for more than one university locations?

    Yes, when applying for a place in the Erasmus+ programme you can specify up to three study locations wherein you would like to spend a semester abroad (first, second and third choice).

  • Do I have to take a semester on leave during a semester abroad?

    SStudents have the possibility to take a semester on leave for a stay abroad at FSU. This makes sense because students do not lose time in their studies after returning from abroad. Nevertheless, the credits earned abroad can still be transferred. Please be aware that it is not possible to perform work at FSU during the semester on leave that is relevant to the completion of studies.

    The application for a semester on leave is available from the Student Service Centre (SSZ)External link.

  • What documents do I need to prove my language skills?

    To apply for a place in Zaragoza (Spanish) and Tartu (English), you will need to prove your language skills at levels B1 (Zaragoza) and B2 (Tartu).

    For an application at the IfKW it is enough to prove the corresponding language level by your school leaving certificate (B1 = at least five years of schooling in the corresponding language; B2 = at least seven years of schooling in the corresponding language).

    The extent to which the respective partner institutes require further language certificates during the application process can be found on the website of the respective host university.

    As a student of the FSU you have the opportunity to take language courses at the Language Center. You can find all relevant information about the courses offered here.

  • Do I need a letter of recommendation from a university lecturer for the application?

    No. For an application at the IfKW no letter of recommendation is necessary.

  • Can I also apply for exchange places from other institutes?

    You can also go abroad on exchange contingent upon your minor subject or other institutes. A list of Erasmus+ exchange places of all faculties can be found here. If you go abroad via another institute and take courses with references to communication science, you could get credit for your studies at the IfKW.

  • How does the credit transfer from coursework performed abroad work?

    At the end of your stay abroad at the host university you will receive a transcript of records. Based on the transcript, the 3rd part of the Learning Agreement (After Mobility), which regulates the recognition at FSU Jena, is to be filled in together with the Erasmus coordinator.